What follows is a shorter version of my earlier post ‘A Fundamental Flaw in the Thesis: A Universe from Nothing’1
Scientists have found that the total energy of the universe is zero. This one single fact has made many physicists jubilant, because now with one single stroke they can completely eliminate the creator God. The total energy of the universe being zero, why should it require any creation by an outside agent? It could have easily come out of nothing due to the quantum energy fluctuation in a void, no God being needed. But zero-energy universe has its own problem too. This is solely due to Einstein. Einstein’s special theory of relativity has shown that matter and energy are equivalent and his general theory has shown that space, time and matter are so interlinked that there cannot be any space and time without matter; similarly there cannot be any matter without space and time. Now think of it:
- Total energy of the universe is zero;
- Total energy being zero, total matter will also be zero due to the matter-energy equivalence;
- Total matter being zero, total space-time should also have to be zero, because as per GR there cannot be any space and time without matter;
- But we also know that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate;
- Therefore the pertinent question will be: how does the total space-time of an ever-expanding universe always remain zero?
If science cannot provide a suitable answer to this question, then the naturalistic world-view of modern science will prove to be inadequate for explaining the real world.
The above is as per the claim of the scientists that the universe has originated from nothing. The other side of the coin is that if the universe as a whole is really a nothing, then only it can come from nothing. That means before making such a claim that the entire universe has actually originated from nothing, scientists should at least show that the universe as a whole is really a nothing. That means they should at least show that not only its total matter and energy, but its total space-time as well, is also zero. As they have not yet been able to show this, so here their claim is not a justified claim.